Fans are the most used items in any household, despite the widespread availability of coolers and air conditioners. Energy generating and saving is a major issue when generating power for domestic use. This article discusses the question- ‘can a fan be used as a generator?’.
The answer is,’ Yes, a fan can be used as a generator’. The generated power and energy from the generator can be either used or stored in a battery for powering some other devices.
Using a fan as a generator
A fan is a bidirectional machine that can transform wind energy into mechanical energy without any change. To convert a fan into a generator and obtain electrical energy, it is necessary to make changes in the motor of the fan. Motors can be functioned as generators to transform mechanical energy into electrical energy.
Can an electric motor be used as a generator?
Any motor can be used to generate electricity if it is wired correctly and specific rules are followed properly. The modern AC or DC induction motors are very simple to wire as alternating current generators, and most will start generating electricity from the first time they are turned on.
Can a fan be used as a Generator?
The common question is, ‘Can a fan be used as a Generator?’
The answer is, ‘Yes, a fan can be used as a generator’. Connecting a voltmeter to a common table fan or box fan motor will get some power output. But if you place a magnet inside your fan motor, you will get some serious power output.
Ceiling fan motor type, AC vs DC motor
When you spin up a DC motor, it produces electricity. The faster the motor spins, the more energy is produced.
AC motor does not have any permanent magnets, but some residual magnet is inside. So when you spin it up, you will get some level of power from it.
How to turn a fan into a generator?
The construction of the generator is divided into two parts:
1. Mechanical construction is related to the mechanical structure of the fan.
2. Electrical connection is related to the wiring of the fan.
Let’s go through the parts step by step:
– In this construction, copper is used as copper is not affected by a magnetic field.
– Then, you need to place or assemble this copper winding on the rod of the fan. This rod is the shaft that connects the fan to the ceiling. This rod is made of non-magnetic & non-conducting material.
– Strong magnets are placed in a circular way around the copper winding. They are set in such a way that all magnets surround the copper winding. The air gap between the set of magnet and winding is very small, around a few mm.
– These strong magnets are fitted to the rotating disc with the help of thin rods and nuts.
– The rotating disc is connected to the shaft of the motor of the fan, to which the blades of the fan are also connected.
Connection of Fan
- Give connection to the regulator through the switch.
- With the help of a switch, turn on/off the fan.
- With the help of a regulator, control the speed of the fan.
- The regulator is connected between the motor winding of the fan and the switch. This is from where the supply of electricity is given.
Connection of assembly mounted on the rod of the fan.
- The purpose of this assembly is to generate electricity.
- Wires carry out the Electromagnetic field generated on the conductor to the storage space.
- This connection is exactly the opposite of a fan connection.
- The only difference is that at the place of voltage, there is a battery to store charge.
- The route of the current is also reversed, which flows from assembly to battery.
Connection of Battery
- The power, which is generated by the assembly mounted on the fan rod, is stored in the battery.
- The copper winding is stationary and is connected to the battery with the help of wires.
Advantage of fan turned into a generator
– Electricity is produced from a fan.
– Construction is simple and easy.
– The cost of manufacturing is also cheap.
– Do not affect the main work of a fan, which is cooling.
– Does not produce energy when the fan is in a stationary condition.
Can a fan be used as a generator?
Yes, To convert a fan into a generator and obtain electrical energy, it is necessary to make changes in the motor of the fan. Motors can be functioned as generators to transform mechanical energy into electrical energy.
How can electricity be generated at home?
By making some changes to the fan’s motor, you can turn it into a generator. And through generator electricity is produced.
Can you use an AC motor as a generator?
Yes, a regular AC induction motor can be used as a generator. You don’t need to make any modifications.
What kind of electric motor can be used as a generator?
A permanent electric motor can be used as a generator. You need to apply an external power source to spin the shaft of any permanent magnet electric motor, and thus your motor becomes a generator.
How long can an electric motor run continuously?
An electric motor can run continuously from six months to one year. A motor’s life depends on the life of its brushes.
The world is a warehouse of energy. Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Some wasted resources can produce energy. So, to solve the scarcity of energy, we can renew and reuse the energy. By a simple assembly, you can produce electricity from fans.